Aug 29: Interstate Velo buying spin

Wednesday: WORRIED I head off with dog towards TRISLED, Victoria to check out a used Rotovelo 1. I haven't seen a velo on the flesh let alone ridden one, so the 1100k drive may be for nothing. 
I sleep on the front seat of car overnight and vow "never again". 

Thursday: HOPEFUL, We motor through the scenic Yarra Valley, 3 hours to TRISLED. 
I see an orange RV1 in the corner, all dusty, but looking beastly tough. Its aided by sharing its stable with a famous green RV1 owned by Mark Doble and ridden twice across Australia in the IndiPac Endurance Races.
Rebecca helpfully gets me going and I pedal the rugged backstreets of Morwell. The surface is uninspiring bit there's enough on this velo'ing thing to tickle my interests.
I later meet Ben, The Ben. I'm inspired by his gentle ways and inspired lifestyle. He helps me, The Orange Velo is in the back of the Sooby as we motor away. 

I spend another night slumped on the front seat, even more tightly and vow " never ever again ". 

Friday: VELONAUT. Years ago my daughter sent me a photo, of a Trouty stream in Tumbarumba and mentioned there was a lovely rail trail. Thats what my target was today, to ride my new velo on the Tumbarumba-Rosewood Rail Trail. 
Well the boom is set too long, and I was sitting too low in the velo, and there were lots of tree fall trash and gravel washes after recent flooding rains and high winds. Even though, we got some modest mileage in together and I'm already feeling bonded. Still unsure about the e-assist, but as I couldn't pull the small front cog, we got acquainted ok. 
Saturday: GLOATING a bit, I own a velomobile and despite yesterday's modest mileage, I manage to rise early from my favorite bed (at my daughter's place in Parkes Home of The Dish), and run a Parkes Park Run in a decent time. There's a hill thats torture and you run it twice! 
But pushing the last bit, I raise a lather, gulp water and head to The Kombi Cafe for a hot vego breakfast and large flat white. I feel like I've reached a pinnacle in my life, but am still going up.     
I hate cars, but someone loves this old girl. 

Popular posts from this blog

a new boat - Norwalk Islands Sharpie 18 "Clancy"

trip west pt 2

Radio Operator's Licence