22 Aug: Car Free; its from the soul

When I travelled to the doctors for eye surgery followup, I used a train and folding bike combination of transport. I'd used the same bike and various trains to ride in stages from home to convents in Merewether and Coogee in Sydney's eastern quarter. Its a but magic.
And yet, I don't count myself as a cyclist, more of a bike rider. I'm also a walker, nearly 12 months ago I walked 1145k on pilgrimage across Spain. But I'm not a hiker, just a walker. 
My motives for walking or riding, even riding motorcycles, stems from a green soul. Since little I was tuned in to the planet and the many ways we are destroying it. 
So, yesterday, a little early for the doctors, I ducked into the nearest branch of the Maitland libraries, and walked out with this book. Essentially its about how two eco-conscious parents and their two children travel on bikes, camping and foraging for food along Australia's eastern seaboard and hinterlands. 
After skipping to the good bit, I backtracked to the beginnings. Man, like me, was upset at the destructiveness of his lifestyle and strove to do better. Approaches his wife and promotes the idea of going "car free". Well, transitioning at that stage, doing with one car less. In this sitiation, his wife smacks the idea down. I felt the slap in my bed all these years later, as many of my green ideas have been completely crushed by my ex-wife. So, I was not the least surprised that his marriage ended. I think the greater number of people in our society, I suspect those that don't critique their own additions to environmental destruction, do not understand the depth that eco-consciousness bights. Ive realised since being free of my expartner, that riding, walking, living off grid, being vegetarian, are totally liberating. 
Next week, I will travel, yes unfortunately by car (allbeit a very economical one), interstate to try and buy a car replacement "bike". This will hopefully be one more step towards car free living. 

Popular posts from this blog

a new boat - Norwalk Islands Sharpie 18 "Clancy"

trip west pt 2

Radio Operator's Licence